Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A sight for sore eye(s)!

You never really know how involved the internet is with your daily life until you can't access / read / interact with it, do you? Yesterday I was down and out for service with a scratched cornea and I was going through serious info withdrawals! Even today, with my ultra-cool clip-on shades perched on my nose in the office, I can only stay focused on my monitor for limited time which severly limits my time "plugged in".

So, while I was wrenched with angst yesterday trying to get my RSS feeds and news quota filled, I reflected as to how this information age must appear to those without immediate access to information, or the freedom to distribute it like we have, or the ones who can't interact with it. What a bunch of absurd people we must look like to people who don't have food, healthcare, schools, etc.

Has the onslaught of information really made our life better or worse? What can we do to "live in the moment" more? I know that I was much more inclined to spend time smiling and laughing with my 5-month old yesterday and playing on the floor with my 2 1/2 year old since I couldn't see anything beyond 10 feet.

What would you do if you couldn't use the internet for news / information / entertainment anymore but you knew it was there? How would you change for the better / worse? What's the worst / best that could happen?

No comments: