Friday, February 15, 2008

Social Copycats?

I just read about the "mashup" phenomenon of social copycats today and it really blew my mind. Who are these people? What is it about humanity that they are so enamored with being someone else instead of themselves? Now, don't get me wrong, if someone was truly fascinated by my impressive background and wordsmithing skills and decided to do a little drag-n-drop onto their Linked In page, I'm cool with that. Just don't start taking too much credit for my accomplishments and especially not my children.

Where is this going to stop though? Will someone start taking complete sections of Exec bios off of websites and founding virtual copies of companies? Will someone start a virtual sports league using fantasy football data and pictures of the players? I can appreciate that immitation is the finest form of flattery but for real folks, time to get a life of your own. My life story is not a Wiki to pull from. To contradict Dr. Evil, "The details of my life are quite consequential."

No comments: